Welcome To My Blog

If you are into talking about the Kansas City Chiefs, this is the place to be. I am Aiken_Drum and I am a Chiefaholic. If you are too, great! Let's discuss this team that we inexplicably love to follow. Don't be afraid to be critical here. Positive or negative, they are all thoughts about the Chiefs. Also, do not tell ANYBODY here that they shouldn't respond in a certain way. You don't like what they said? Just stop commenting. Be the bigger commentor.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Case For Keeping Matt Cassel


I know, I know.  Everybody wants him gone.  Maybe not in the same way that they wanted Pioli gone (you know, in a puff of smoke), but gone just the same.  It's true that Matt has under performed his last couple years as a Chief.  Some of it was due to injury and some of it was due to the inability to execute, but Matt is the only QB in the NFL that I can think of right now that would actually inspire fans to clap because he was concussed.  That was totally uncalled for and should not have happened.  In fact, I think it's adding insult to injury, both literally and figuratively.  Why?  Please Lucy, let me splain.





Matt Cassel may not be Drew Breeze but based on his actual, you know, numbers, he ain't Ingle Martin either.  Given that we just suffered through four years of a GM that created a terrible working environment for this team, and we saw a change at OC in each and every one of those years, it seems only fair to admit that Matt might just be a product of that very environment.  I know that what I am about to write is going to be very unpopular among Kansas City Chiefs fans, but I believe that given the proper circumstances, Matt Cassel can win playoff games as a QB [ducks flying produce while sitting at keyboard].

Matt Cassel.  The name invokes such a wide range of emotions among Chiefs fans that you almost need to listen to the Rolling Stones belt out Emotional Rescue just to keep things on an even keel.


Ok, ok.  I'll admit that Matt had a terrible year.  One that kinda screams "I suck" to the masses.  Given who the coaches and the GM were though, do we really know why Matt so badly under performed?  I'd say that there is a good chance that Matt was, as were many others, a victim of the circumstances that surrounded the team.  If there is any truth to that idea, then what happens if Andy Reid starts watching Matt do his thing and says, "Ya know?  The kid really ain't all that bad".

What if Andy (being the bonafide QB mentoring master of the universe that we all hear about) looks at Cassel and says, "I think I can make a star QB outta this kid"?  Ya'll hadn't really thought about that had you?  Matt Cassel has had two solid seasons in terms of wins and three that weren't so good.  What was different about those seasons?  The OC.  Matt's good seasons were 2008 and 2010 with Josh McDaniels and Charlie Weis as OC.  His bad seasons were 2009, 2011 and 2012 with Todd Haley, Bill Muir and Brian Daboll as OC.  Don't you think that looking at things this way sort of points to issues with OCs being at least part of Matt's problems?  I mean Weis and McDaniels are both Patriots products and both got sufficient wins out of Cassel to make the playoffs (even though his 11 wins just barely missed the playoffs in 2008).  Haley as HC and OC was spread too thin, Muir/Cauthon couldn't even get the play called in to the QB much less see how he handled it, and Daboll--well need I say more?  There's your sign.



 I just don't know.  A couple days ago, Reid was sitting in a press conference with Clark and he said that maybe the QB was already here.  Now, a couple days later, he's chosen an inexperienced coach that was a player and a coach for Reid to take the OC responsibility in KC (this is a mistake in my opinion).  Given that he may think the kid may need some time to grow into the OC job, it is simply not that unthinkable that Reid would choose to stay with Cassel given that fact that most folks agree that the franchise QB that we seek is not available this season with that first overall pick--is it?????????????

There ya go Chiefs fans.  Just another day in the hood.  The only time in the history of the club that we get the first overall pick (I think), and the cupboard is bare.  That's a Chiefs fans life for sure.

Welcome home Matty.  You've been missed.








9 comments:

  1. HAHAHA. No. Matt is set to make $7.5 million in base salary, plus $2.3 million in bonus 2013. $9.8 millions dollars? No, he isn't worth 1/10 of it.
    Another good argument is here...and provided in the link below, is also his contract/salary info, embedded in the article.

    http://www.chiefs360.com/2013/01/10/top-free-agents-of-2013-a-look-at-quarterback/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, I pray they don't, every night, I ask for His blessing and the release of Matt Cassel. He was Pioli's boy, he needs to go with Pioli.

    And the "I hope you're not a Robot" inputting that garbage just to comment is annoying, and turn off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I can't really experience how the commenting is being the administrator. I'll try to find that switch and turn it off.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I know site dont want "robots" wandering and "generically posting" comments. I enjoy leaving feedback. Even if I am an ass about it, but the whole "CAPTCHA" thing alot of sites use is a turn-off, and actually can discourage people from continuing to the site.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff Aiken, thanks for the hard work.

    Well, it seems to me that there are really two questions here. The answer depends on which one the Chiefs front office is asking. If the Chiefs are asking.

    Is Matt Cassel good enough to have value to the Chiefs? I believe that the answer is obviously yes. When you look at the extreme view, Matt could re-structure his contract for the league minimum and agree to be the designated clip board holder as the number 2 QB, then of course he could be of value to this team. Of course, he is not likely to do that, my only point is that he obviously represents value in this example, whether you like him or not.

    However if the Chiefs are asking whether or not Matt is going to be a part of a successful franchise here in KC, then I would say probably not. Matt doesn't make the plays that he should make. He also finds a way to blow the plays that he can't afford to blow. Irregardless of "who" ruined Matt, the fact is that he is damaged goods. I am not saying that some QB coach somewhere won't be able to rebuild his psyche, I am just saying that it is tough to give therapy to a battle scarred soldier at the scene of his nervous breakdown, complete with bombs, bullets and body parts flying everywhere.

    So, in my opinion, it isn't that Matt can't be redeemed...I just don't think it is best for the Chiefs (or Matt) to try to do that in the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AIken, Great post. You just got me off the fence; I've been mulling this over and I think Cassel should stay. He will be cheap (who is going to want him?). Even if he doesn't start, I've read he is a real team player and could help a young QB. I also think he could do well in the WC offense. Dink and dunk, get the ball out of his hands quick, no time to panic, just read and react at the line. I'm searching for Cassel's completion percentages for screens and passes under 10 yards. Could be interesting. Always enjoy you posts at AP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Dave. As you may know, I was a pretty big Cassel supporter and after last year, I just don't know what to expect now. Romeo and Daboll made such a mess of this team's offense, I don't know if you can look at Cassel and really blame him for what happened. If he does get another chance, I would love to see him redeemed.

      Delete
    2. Dave, just my opinion...but after watching Matt play for 4 years I think that you will find that Matt can't hit the broad side of a barn with a screen. The screens and the high passes over the middle are what kill me about him. I can live with the lack of arm strength, but Matt is the worst screen passer I have ever seen.

      Delete